The Historic Significance of the Cricklade Jenner Hall: There are over one hundred and ten listed buildings and monuments in Cricklade, of which only five have a grade 2* listing. Two of the grade 2* listings are monuments and the Jenner Hall is one of only three grade 2* listed buildings in the town (the others being St Mary’s Church and the Queen Anne period property at 23, High Street). This listing status denotes that Jenner Hall is a particularly important building of special interest. Only 4 per cent of all listed buildings are allocated grade 2* status.
The Victorian Elementary School Act of 1872 required that the intermediate floor be removed to provide enough space and air for the number of children in the classroom. The additional North Hall was built at right angles to the original main hall to provide the schoolroom and this also buttressed the building, so that it is still in existence!
The attached House, originally built as the master’s house of the workhouse, provided living accommodation for the schoolmasters of the Victorian school. It remained in use as domestic accommodation up to mid 1960s, when it was purchased by the Bristol Diocesan Board of Finance (with additional grant funding from the Hayward Trust) so that the Hall could have toilets and storage space to extend its use as a Community Hall, specifically for use as a Community Day Centre.
The building has a number of original features. The basic structure dates from 1652. Although the porch is constructed from original materials, it was repositioned when the North Hall was built-in the late nineteenth century. The roof timbers and many of the Cotswold stone roof tiles also date from 1652. The ovolo-mullioned windows with diamond lead glazing are a particularly appealing historic feature. The Master’s house has its original roof & structure and contains old beams together with an old chimney breast up to the 3rd floor. Because of its historic importance and ambiance, the Jenner Hall has become an important meeting place for The Cricklade Court Leet and is also used by the Cricklade Historical Society.